Soul Of America




The home of Maggie L. Walker, America's first female bank owner, Richmond



Richmond, VA


Richmond Slavery Reconciliation Statue
DESCRIPTION: Unveiled in 2007, the statue depicts two people melded in an embrace, near the former slave market in Shockoe Bottom; a linchpin of
Richmond's Slave Trail, the statue is part of a "sister city" project with Liverpool England and Benin, West Africa for their three-way reconciliation for participating in slavery

ADDRESS: 15th and East Main Streets Plaza  MAP

PARKING: paid lots nearby


Jackson Ward
DESCRIPTION: During the Reconstruction era, it was known as Little Africa and subsequently the birthplace of African American entrepreneurship; it's the nation's largest National Historic Landmark district associated with African American history and culture

ADDRESS: forty blocks including Leigh, Clay, Duval, Marshall 1st & 2nd Streets  MAP

PARKING: on street

PHONE: 804-644-4305

Consolidated Bank and Trust Company
DESCRIPTION: Its forerunner was St. Luke Penny Savings Bank founded by Maggie L Walker; today's bank was created when three prominent African American banks consolidated in 1930 and 1931:  St Luke Penny Savings Bank, Second Street Savings Bank and Commercial Bank and Trust Company; Black Enterprise 1999 ranked it the 16th largest African American bank; the building was designed by famed African American architect Charles T Russell; Mon-Fri 9a-2p, Fri 4p-6p

ADDRESS: 320 North 1st Street  MAP

PARKING: on street

PHONE: 804-771-5204

Maggie L. Walker Historic Site
DESCRIPTION: Walker (1867-1934) was born to a former slave and white abolitionist; she expanded the Independent Order of St. Luke Benevolent Burial Society to own a department store, newspaper (she was editor), and a bank in 1903; in the process she became the first woman in the US to found a bank, St. Luke Penny Savings Bank; she worked with W.E.B. Du Bois on the board of the NAACP and with Mary McLeod Bethune on the board of the National Association of Colored Women; this two story, 25 room brick row house was her residence from 1904 until her death; wheelchair accessible; Wed-Sun 9a-5p

ADDRESS: 110 East Leigh Street  MAP

PARKING: on street

PHONE: 804-771-2017

Elk's Lodge
DESCRIPTION: Opened ~ 1905, this 26 room mansion was built for the Rev. WL. Taylor, a leader in the United Order of True Reformers; it was designed by African American architect, J A Lankford; his home was one the largest buildings in Virginia built for an African American; it later became an Elk’s lodge; awaiting renovation

ADDRESS: 526 North 2nd Street  MAP

First Battalion Armory of Virginia Volunteers
DESCRIPTION: Built in 1899, it's the oldest armory built for African Americans in Virginia and headquartered the city's first African-American regiment dispatched to the Spanish-American War; for a period after the war in the early 20th century, it was converted into a school

ADDRESS: 122 West Leigh Street  MAP

PARKING: on street

William Washington Browne Residence
DESCRIPTION: Browne came to Richmond in 1881 to pastor Leigh Street ME Church and to promote the United Order of True Reformers; although he died in 1897, Browne's leadership helped increase the Order's membership which peaked near 120,000 shortly after his death

ADDRESS: 105 West Jackson Street  MAP

PARKING: on street

The Trail Of Enslaved Africans

DESCRIPTION: On the nightly tour led by Elegba Folklore Society, participants are roped together as slaves and walk at night (when slaves were brought to Manchester Dock for sale so as not disturb Southern gentility) along the woods and riverfront of this Slave Trail; the trail runs through historic sites such as Lumpkin Slave Jail and the canal auction houses; there is also a monument to Henry "Box" Brown at the canal, Reconciliation Statue and African Slave burial ground on the trail

ADDRESS: Trail starts at Ancarrows Landing  MAP


Maymont House and the Maymont House Museum
DESCRIPTION: Additional exhibits include the Carriage Collection, the gardens and grounds, the Robins Nature and Visitor's Center, Virginia Wildlife Exhibits and Children's Farm; Group tours are available by reservation
; on the list of National Historic Places; he see story of the Walker Family domestic servants at Maymont.

ADMISSION: $5; Guided tours on the hour and half-hour; last tour begins at 4:30pm

DAYS & HOURS: Tue-Sun Noon-5p

ADDRESS:1700 Hampton Street  MAP

PARKING: on site

PHONE: 804-358-7166 x329

New Market Heights, VA

New Market Heights Battlefield
DESCRIPTION: The famous Civil War battle fought and won primarily by Black soldiers occurred here in 1864; in fact the most Black soldiers awarded a Congressional Medal of Honor for valor, was earned here - now that's Glory!

ADDRESS: between I-295, New Market Road, Kingsland Road & Buffin Road  MAP

PARKING: on premises

Glen Allen, VA

Randolph Museum
DESCRIPTION: Virginia E Randolph (1874-1958) worked 57 years as an educator and humanitarian; she conducted the first Arbor Day program in Virginia in 1908, planting 12 Sycamore trees onsite in honor of the 12 disciples; she is buried on the site, a State Historic Landmark since 1970

DAYS & HOURS Mon, Wed, Fri, Sat 1p-4p, Sun 3-5p

ADDRESS: 2200 Mountain Road  MAP

PARKING: on premises

PHONE: 804-261-5029

Social Media



National Calendar of Events

Enhance Your Event Travel, Plan Early




Black Spas and Black Inns

Relaxation and Inspiration
may be closer than you think



Copyrights & Trademarks    About Us     Media